[pct-l] Re: Section C conditions and trailhead transportation

Re: Section C conditions and trailhead transportation

Section C
April 7-11, I backpacked 50+ miles from the Coxey Road crossing of Holcomb Creek (M285) to Cajon Pass (M342). There was flowing water everywhere. Crossing knee-deep Holcomb Creek was difficult in the swift current near Crab Flat Road. These crossings were confusing. At the damaged bridge over Deep Creek, I walked along the guardrail past the missing piece of the bridge rather than attempt fording Deep Creek (which looked treacherous). From Deep Creek Bridge to the Hot Springs several trees and landslides block the trail to livestock, but hikers can easily climb over or get around them. Before reaching the hot springs, I met One Gallon coming south to the ADZPCTKO.  To warm up for his third PCT thru-hike, One Gallon had walked south from San Francisco along the coast and then the Los Padres NF to connect to the PCT in Antelope Valley. At the very-enjoyable hot springs,there was quite a crowd, 20-30 people. Along the PCT from the hot springs to the dam, the trail is good but I was surprised to see so much graffiti spray-painted on rocks. I camped on the beach below the colossal Mojave dam, which seems designed for a 5000-year storm.  I walked west along the beach below the dam past the outlet tunnel and crossed the creek (Mojave River?) to get back on the PCT. The easy trail to Silverwood Lake is in good shape. After the PCT follows and then climbs away from Hwy. 138 toward Silverwood Lake, I missed the PCT turnoff to the lake and instead followed a dirt road over a ridge to the paved road. I then continued up the paved road to the overcrossing, skipping the PCT segment along the lake (just more recently burned area). The detour up Cleghorn ridge is well marked, and the trail is good the rest of the way though Horsethief Canyon and winding down through badlands into a stream canyon and I- 15.

Trailhead Transportation
All the guidebooks talk about hitching as though you just stick out your thumb and trail angels suddenly appear to take you wherever you want to go. I haven't found this true for me. Besides, I don't enjoy standing in the hot sun for hours along a busy highway full of speeding, aggressive drivers, not knowing when, if ever, I will get a ride. I try to avoid this situation if at all possible. Along this southern part of the PCT you can experience spectacular parts of the trail in sections. Buses, taxis, and airport shuttles can get you to many places along the PCT from the border to Tehachapi. I rarely see taxis mentioned but taxis provide service on demand (though expensive) directly to the trailhead. For example, Palm Springs taxi will drop you off and pick you up at I-10 or the tram, Big Bear Taxi will connect you to the PCT from Onyx Summit to Holcom Creek, and Anchor Taxi can get you to trailheads from Mill Creek Summit to Hwy. 58.  Also consider airport shuttles. Supershuttle goes from Idyllwild and Cajon Pass to Ontario Airport. There are also wonderful public bus systems like MARTA from San Bernardino to Big Bear and the San Diego County rural buses. Without the extensive transportation alternatives available in the first 550 miles of the PCT, I would not have gotten so far.

Craig Vassel

Craig and Brenda Vassel