[pct-l] Fuler Ridge Report (long)

On April 15th I hiked out of Idyllwild to determine trail conditions
between Strawberry Jct and Fuller Ridge along the PCT. Photos of this
trip an be found at http://community.webshots.com/album/323389676zJqcYy

Here are my findings:

1. I hiked up out of Idyllwild along the Deer Springs trail from 6600'
to the junction with the PCt at Strawberry junction at 8000'. During
this climb I found no snow whatsoever to 7700', and then only small
patches of snow to 8000'. I was on a S/SE facing slope during this
portion of the hike. One could assume that similar slopes/elevation
north of hwy 74 and south of this point would have similar conditions.
2. At Strawberry jct I found the trail intersection sign and 2 PCT posts
easily. The area was under patchy snow (see photos) but was fairly easy
to navigate. The next leg of the PCT travels 2.3 miles north to the
intersection with the Marion Mountain trail. On this section I began to
lose the PCT with some regularity. I would guess that between 8000' and
8700' the trail was over 50% fully covered in snow. At 8690' I saw the
trail for the last time. I could see that next to large rocks and trees,
the trail was cover by 2-4' of snow at that point. I began to hike
largely cross country using map/compass and GPS to try and find the
trail, but to no avail.
3. I continued hiking along my GPS points toward Fuller Ridge. As I
trended eastward toward the Deer Springs stream and the Fuller Ridge jct
the navigation was not tremendously difficult, but there was absolutely
no trail to follow since I was now on a north face. As I approached the
Deer Spring stream I could hear it but could not see it - it was buried.
I followed the drainage up hill and eventually found a water source. The
source I found was very near where the PCT crosses the stream according
to my GPS. At this point the snow depth next to the stream was
approximately 8' (see photos).
4. I continued along a route northward toward Fuller Ridge in an attempt
to find the trail intersection. After several attempt to locate it
(using GPS) I realized the trail signs were under my feet - completely
buried in snow. Because of traveling cross country in deep snow my speed
had slowed to about 1 MPH. I was running out of day and needed to be
back at my house early Saturday AM so I chose to hike to the edge of
Fuller Ridge, then return to Strawberry Jct. I would have needed 4-5
hours to get to Black Mountain CG at this speed, and would not have been
able to get back to my car by the time I needed to. I also figured that,
having traveled above Fuller Ridge elevation-wise on both south and
north facing slopes I could give some indication of conditions along the
Ridge.
5. On the return trip I noted that there were 6 water sources between
the Fuller Ridge intersection and Strawberry Jct. The 2 higher elevation
crossings were buried beneath the snow.
6. While at 8900' on the descent I came upon a Scandinavian couple who
had followed my tracks north from Strawberry jct and were preparing to
navigating Fuller Ridge using map and compass. I gave them map map
showing the trail along Fuller Ridge in extreme close up. Since we could
easily see the ridge from this point I'm sure they could find their way
along it to Castle Rocks, traverse the slot and head down toward Black
Mountain. So for the record, at least one groups has gone through this
section thus far.

Extrapolations

1 The conditions will obviously be more snow free approximately 3 weeks
from now, when the Kick Off group comes through. The Scandinavian couple
mentioned they had some snow on the section between Saddle jct and
Strawberry jct, but they made it OK. I would guess that by the time the
group comes through, this section will be snow free since it faces south.
2. I'd guess too that the trail will be visible to at least 8500', maybe
more by the time the group comes through. The challenge in my opinion,
will be the north slope between the Marion mtn trail intersection and
Fuller ridge. I'd guess there will still be snow here, maybe deep snow.
However, good map skills and some basic equipment should get the pack
through this section. If they can trend north then east after the Marion
Mtn intersection, continuing to gain elevation, they should find
themselves crossing the Deer Spring drainage with some ease
(navigationally), and will SEE Fuller Ridge on their left the entire
time. From the Deer Springs stream they can continue north out onto the
ridge and visually follow the ridge toward Castle rocks. There will
likely still be some snow here but 3 weeks from now it should be
manageable if traversed after mid morning..
3. The tough part in my opinion will be the 2 or so miles from Castle
Rocks to Black Mountain. This section is forested, on the north side of
the ridge and will therefore hold snow the longest. However, the Black
mountain campground is at about 7500' and should be warming up/melting
well by then.

Equipment

I carried a GPS, ice ax, crampons and snowshoes. I only used the GPS.
Since I came up a south slope the snow I eventually encountered was soft
, and by the time I rounded to the north facing slopes the warmth of the
day had softened the snow to where I could get good traction but not
posthole. On my descent I pot holed often in the snow on the south slopes.

If I were a thru hiker I'd want to have crampons and an ice ax with me
through this section. I might consider as a bare minimum hiking poles
and some sort of "stableicers". This area will experience freeze/thaw
every day, so the snow will be rock hard in the morning. The first 2.5
miles of Fuller Ridge have some tricky parts, with exposure. Going
through there early in the morning will be tricky. I think what I'd do
is cover the 12 miles between Saddle jct and Black Mountain in one day.
For those who resupply in Idyllwild using Saddle jct (versus the hwy 74
hitchhike), you can start out on largely south facing slopes in the AM,
reaching the north facing section just before the Fuller Ridge
intersection by around lunch. continuing along, you will cross over
Castle rocks by mid afternoon and will have softer snow on the north
face of the ridge in the Afternoon to traverse down to Black Mountain
cg. There may be a bit of postholing along here but at least you'd have
traversed the south face of Fuller Ridge (the first 2.5 miles) after it
has had a chance to soften up.

As a final thought, I was hoping to provide a cut trail, or even some
footprints that could be followed by the thru-hiker pack leaving from
the kick off. Unfortunately the snow was so deep that my tracks would be
gone within a day or two. I wish I could have helped out more in this
regard but conditions would not allow it.

I hope this helps. Greg, let me know if you want me to cover this at the
Kick off - I'll try to blow up some photo's and maps.

Mike Maurer
Gossamer Gear