[pct-l] San Jacinto snows

I remember the short section of trail between Hwy 79 and Devil's Slide
in 2002:
Cedar Springs: sits a mile or so down and to the east of the PCT.
Rather than backtrack the two or three miles, we got lazy and tried
cutting the trail NW from the springs back up to the PCT - maybe a half
mile on the map. A couple of our maps had an old trail marked in that
vicinity - bad choice, they were grown-over firebreaks. Three, four
hours of bushwacking later we reached the trail about where we
expected, but hot, dirty, low on water, scratched and hours behind
schedule. Apache Springs that night was nice with a great view of Palm
Springs, but only ten miles north on the trail and a big elevation drop
down and back up the next morning. Only source of water for the next
ten miles.
Apache Springs to Saddle Junction: very impressive whipsaw back and
forth over a narrow rocky northbound ridge - hot, dry, high and
exposed, except for snow and ice chutes. Northeast sides in the shade
had several dicey snow-chute crossings that I would not want to face
alone. Trail is a ledge in many places, normally wide enough for pack
animals, but drifted across wall to cliff, with absolutely no way
around and a long drop/tumble onto scree into chapparal. After rounding
Tahquitz on its east side the trail turns west across a north slope in
tall timber. Heavy snow pillows buried the trail - water worries were
over, but finding the trail became a challenge. Blazes weren't obvious
but someone had planted a string of branches in the snow - that helped.
Actually that area is a big flat bowl, if I had it to do over, I'd set
a compass bearing and take off cross country. Lots of post-holing - so
much that I trashed my ankles and didn't even try Fuller Ridge.