[pct-l] USPS requirements on package pickup

Hello from a long-time list-lurker and section hiker.

The time draws near for me to get some supply boxes in the mail. I'm very
aware that many of the post offices are tiny operations who are overwhelmed
by hiker boxes during the season. Does anyone know the official rule on how
long they are required to hold Priority Mail packages for general delivery
pickup before returning them? I have heard two weeks. I have seen a month
or "up to a month" mentioned on the USPS Web site, although it was less
than perfectly clear.

The goal here -- and it'll take some logistic juggling -- is to get these
boxes in the mail early enough so that I'm not racing them to the PO (they
go ground only because of the alcohol) but not so early that they're
bounced back to my home. For example: I need to get the Idyllwild box in
the mail on 4/21 or I'll have to arrange for someone else to mail it. But
if I'm due to hit Idyllwild for pickup on 5/6, that's cutting it real close
if they're sending boxes back after two weeks.

Thanks in advance for your consideration.

DP