[pct-l] Perseids

Since it's almost time to hit the trail I thought I would remind
everybody of a spectacular show coming in August. Every year for a few
days around August 12 there is a meteor shower called the Perseids.
Unfortunately we will have a half moon on the 12th, but that's much
better than a full moon. So mark it in your notes and keep an eye open
for it. If the sky is clear and you have a south easterly view you
could be treated to quite a show. And the higher your elevation the
better.

Back in 1999 my brother and I had an excellent campsite just above
Upper Crabtree Lake by Whitney and we were not expecting anything.
Then out of nowhere a fireball streaked across the sky. Some of them
were so bright that the tail took didn't disappear until after it
passed out of site behind the mountain. An amazing fireworks display!
It was made more breathtaking by the fact that we just had a smoke
(not tobacco). The only downside is that the really bright ones that
passed out of view before burning out left us wondering if they might
have taken out Lone Pine.

I'm hoping to see an aurora as I head farther north. Pray for an
Earthbound coronal mass ejection.

http://comets.amsmeteors.org/meteors/showers/perseidobs.html

Mark

--
Have fun or die trying - but try not to actually die.
http://www.AboveCalifornia.com