[pct-l] Perseids

These posts about the meteor shower remind me of another spectacular evening at Crater Lake in 2003...

A big bunch of hikers (20 maybe?) had congregated at Crater Lake for the buffet, Yogi was there, Billygoat & Meadow Mary, Tuna, Numbrrrs, myself, Troll & Laffy Taffy, Goof & many more.  We all stuffed ourselves & then sat at the lake overlook talking amongst ourselves & with Squatch, who was filming "Walk" at the time.  We gabbed until almost dark, and then all of us left en masse to camp at various places along the rim.  That night was a lunar eclipse if I remember right, as well as the time when Earth and Mars were at their closest approach to each other in a long time, it was a beautiful sight.

And a perfect evening on the trail... my only regret is that my photo (the only one of the whole group I think, was botched by the tourist I handed my camera to.

I too have seen a spectacular meteor shower on the AT in Grayson Highlands, slept out looking at the show all night & didn't sleep a wink!

Ajax

We had a great experience last year near Etna when the meteor shower
hit.
The only problem we had was to not lay watching the wonderful light
show all
night long and be too tired to hike in the morning.  We watched until
about
11pm and then found ourselves waking up every few hours to see if there
was
more to see...and there was! Didn't get the best nights sleep, but that
was
a fabulous night under the stars on the trail.

Taper Off