[pct-l] yeah skip VVR

On Apr 5, 2005, at 1:42 AM, Joseph Niemiec wrote:
> I'D SKIP THIS PLACE - JUST MAKE SURE YOU GO LONE PINE OR BISHOP FOR
> RESUPPLY THEN AND THEN GO ALL THE WAY TO REDS MEADOW...

I'd also suggest that if you need a break after slogging
through the Sierra to head on into Mammoth Lakes from the
Red's Meadow area.  Great town for hikers.  Motel 6 for
lodging (there is a hostel also), excellent bakery across
the street from the Motel 6, movie theatre, friendly outfitter
and so on.  I found Red's Meadow itself very expensive.  If
you can wait until town you'll get a better deal than eating
at the cafe at Red's.

Red's (and VVR) might very well be closed still for any hikers
pushing through the Sierra this year.  You might have to consider
hiking one of the side trails into Mammoth Lakes.  You might
want to call the Red's (or the Park Service since Red's Meadow
is inside Devil's Post Pile National Monument) from Independence
to see what they are up to.

Just to clarify things for hikers, Devil's Post Pile doesn't
allow private vehicles on the park roads due to congestion.  They
run a shuttle bus service throughout the park and out to Mammoth
Lakes.  The exception is folks camping at the campground so you
*might* be able to hitch from the campground otherwise you'll need
to hike or take the shuttle out of the park (and Red's Meadow is
inside the park as I said earlier).