[pct-l] osprey aether pack

hi there.

i used an osprey aether 60 for my 2004 thru-hike, as
did at least 5 other hikers i hiked around here and
there. i was VERY VERY happy with this pack.

my base weight was about 16-18 pounds, and the pack
easily carried loads up to 40 pounds (for those 6
liters of water and 4 days of food moments). i wanted
a pack with a burlier suspension than lots of the more
lightweight packs, and i was very pleased with the
feel of the shoulder and waist belt. (after i lost 25
pounds in the first 1000 miles, i didn't have lots of
extra play left in the belt though!)

i had no problem with fitting everything i needed into
the aether 60, and i removed the top lid (as did most
other hikers i saw with this pack) after the first 100
miles or so. didn't need it. on the 6+ days out of
tuolumne meadows, the pack was definitely full, but
still manageable.

the only issue i had with the pack was with the
drawstring at the top of the main pack (extension
collar). mine frayed, and eventually broke on both
sides, and since it is not a continuous loop (it's
sewn on each side) it could not be repaired in the
field. i ended up hiking though washington with some
random cordage tied over the top to keep it closed. i
have yet to bother Osprey to try to get this fixed,
but from what i have heard, it shouldn't be a problem.
my advice, especially if you removed the top lid, is
to not sinch the drawstring TOO tight (i.e. take it
easy on it).

i bought a duck's back pack cover from REI in central
Washington and it fit the pack like a glove (i can see
which size I bought if anyone cares). i wish i had the
cover sooner (due to lots of rain in Oregon).

so, to sum up... i love this backpack.