[pct-l] Re: Washington Detour Info.

We opted to take the equestrian route (road walk) due to the hair-raising accounts we read at the Dinsmore's River Haven about the hiker re-route.  Until we got to the Trinity Trailhead, we were on paved or dirt road surfaces. Easy walking, but tough on the feet. The Bucks Creek Pass Trail would have probably been just fine to hike on if it wasn't a mess from the rain, but we were cursing most every muddy, sloppy, slippery step.  Someone had lost a horse up there a few days earlier and a 'posse' was ahead of us looking for it so that churned the trail up a bit more too. From Bucks Creek Pass back to the PCT was better hiking even though it had snowed.  If you're hiking in relatively good weather the trail shouldn't be as bad.

We know that Johobe didn't take either detour.  He hiked the PCT the entire way.  He told us that of the 7 fords he only got wet on 2 and that as long as he carefully chose his crossing spot it wasn't a problem.  This was in October.  Not sure how fast and furious those crossing are earlier in the year.

We also talked to another thru-hiker who took the hiker detour (sorry, can't remember his name now).  He said it was pretty steep in some spots (walk a few hundred feet, stop and breathe, walk a few hundred feet, stop and breath kind of steep) and there was quite a bit of bushwhacking to get through.  He felt it wasn't a problem as long as it wasn't raining and told us if it was raining when it came time to make the decision that the equestrian route might be better.

We also talked to a couple of day hikers who hiked the Glacier Peak area often and knew about the detour.  They were the first to let us know that the trails might not be maintained and that it could make for some tough hiking.  We assume that by the time the 2005 hikers arrive in the area, the detour will be in much better shape. We knew there were crews out there clearing the way last year, but it takes some time to get unmaintained trails back into shape.

All but our own experience on the equestrian route is heresay, so take it for what it's worth.

Start Slow & Taper Off