[pct-l] Getting off work

Hi Emily,

You've already got some great responses.  I'll try not to repeat too much of
what has already been said, but there has been one element that has sort of
been missing in the responses.

Nobody is going to GIVE you time off to hike the trail.

You have to TAKE it.

Only when you make the trail a priority, can you make it happen.  A lot of
people will tell you how "lucky" you are to be able to go off and hike for
five months.  I don't believe luck plays that big a role.  I work hard to be
able to take time off from working the way I have (and do).

You may have to be willing to let your job go even before you ask for that
leave of absence.  If you get the leave, great!  You'll know you have a job
waiting for you when you finish.

If you don't get the leave, you'll have to then decide whether or not to
leave anyway.  And, if you want to stay (and not hike), will having asked
for the leave affect your ability to have the career you've wanted within
the company?  If they think there's a chance you're going to take off anyway
- either this year, or next - will just having asked about the leave make
them suspicious of how long they can rely on your presence?

Obviously, this can be more of an issue for some types of jobs than others.
It can also be more of an issue in some locations than others.

Once again, it really has to come down to priorities.  When you make it a
priority, it will happen.

Have fun out there!

Mara

http://friends.backcountry.net/m_factor