[pct-l] The best lightweight shelter

My friend and I seem to be at odds with what may be the best shelter for going out in potential rain. I'm under the impression that the purpose of a tarp is for both shade and rain-shielding, whereas my friend seems to think that the lack of a floor and complete walls will allow flooding. I suggested a fastpack footprint, but the comment about floods caused concern about the lack of a seal along the floor corners.

What is your experience with a tarp tent as a shield against the elements? Will a tarp provide adequate shelter? Is it worth the weight to pack a tent?