[pct-l] Water containers / permits

What type of water containers are recommended for carrying up to two gallons of water on the PCT in SOCAL?  We have been using Nalgene's collapsible containers, but they don't hold up very well.  Do Platypus collapsible containers fare any better?  Would it work to use just regular 1-gallon milk jug type containers?

Does she need to obtain any wilderness permits or fire permits prior to leaving home?  She will be section-hiking Campo to I-15.  Although that topic is discussed regularly, it is extremely confusing.

Dan, for Gutsy, who is on a two-week "training / meet the thruhikers" hike on the AT.  She will be at the ADZPCTKO next month.  Thanks for the feedback.  If this is a topic you would rather not see again, please don't toss any flaming firewood across the campfire at me!