[pct-l] Snike bite Kit....!

a close friend of mine was bitten by a rattle snake on the PCT coming down
the north side of San Jacinto.  Said his entire leg was black and blue, and
spent 2 days in the hospital.  His wife walked down to the highway to get
help.  The snake was in tall grass, and he was unable to see it before it
struck.  He is an experienced climber, hiker, and has hiked the entire PCT
in sections.

A 15 year old who I was introducing to the CA sierras got bitten in my tent
by a scorpion near the PCT at Bear Creek(Vermillion). This quiet youngster
began to scream and holler just as I was waking up which got my attention
He said that it felt like a bad bee sting.  I was incredulous until he
pointed out the scorpion on the tent floor.  He later told me how pissed he
was when I carefully lifted the scorpion and put it outside the tent.  I was
completely stunned by the whole episode - although I has seen a lot of
scorpions in desert areas, I had never seen one inthe Sierras., let alone
seen a bite, and on a youngster that I was responsible for.

Almost stepped on a couple of ratlers -one near Indian springs road and a
couple of other on Desert Divide.  They were crossing the trail and we were
on each other before either had reaction time.  Same thing happened with the
horse - whissed by a couple of rattles that I could easily have touched
sitting on ledges and we were by before the recognition and panic set in.

goforth