Snake bite treatment RE: [pct-l] FIRST AID CLASS,

The reason for not cutting an X (or newer, but still wrong, instructions to
cut parallel to the limb) is that it introduces more infection, spreads
infection, and very often caused more tissue damage including cutting
muscles and blood vessels.

The other danger with any snake bite kit is the time wasted playing with it
when you could be getting professional help. If I was so far out I couldn't
get help in an hour, I might spend five minutes with a Sawyer Extractor
before deciding whether to walk out or just make camp and get ready to be
really sick for a couple days. Otherwise, just get help. I don't usually
carry a kit anymore.

I've seen more rattlesnakes at home and around town than I have in the
desert. Total wilderness rattlesnake count in 35 years of hiking is just 5
and that was in just 2 locations and no bites.

The most common cause of being bit is picking up a snake, and this usually
involves (surprise!) alcohol. Stepping on a snake while walking on warm
pavement after dark is probably a close second - use a flashlight..

AsABat