[pct-l] Snike bite Kit....!

Here are a few comments from Alex L. Heindl, Curator of Herpetology,
Marjorie Barrick Museum of Natural History, University of Nevada, Las Vegas
(http://www.alongtheway.org/rattlesnakes/snakebite.html):

"Though no systematic, nation-wide compilation of annual bite statistics exists,
it appears that several thousand bites are reported each year.

  Properly treated, most bite victims easily survive with little more than a few
unpleasant memories to remind them of the incident. In the U.S., only about 0.1%
? just one in a thousand ? of bites are fatal. Fatalities are more likely among
young children, because of their small body mass, and elderly adults ?
particularly those with heart or lung ailments ? because of their generally less
robust health.

Recent statistics show that most bite victims are men between the ages of twenty
and forty, and that most bites are on hands and feet. Alcohol is typically
involved in behavior leading to a bite and the victim is commonly attempting to
impress friends when the bite occurs. Truly accidental bites are considerably
less frequent."

The site mentioned above also includes instructions for dealing with bites.

===============

In addition, I've read (can't recall where) that "rattlesnake roundups"
contribute heavily to the bite statistics. I've also read that aside from guys
trying to impress people, the second largest category of bite victims is
professional snake handlers (herpetoligists, zoo keepers, etc.). In absolute
terms, we are talking less than a dozen deaths/year in the U.S. from snake
bites. It would seem that if one is careful (put hands and feet only where you
can see what's there) one is likely to reduce the already-low odds of being
bitten to darned near zero. Finally, I've read that most defensive bites (the
type a hiker would typically experience) are not venomous; that venom is
typically injected only during hunting (and that snakes realize humans are not
food).

Hope this helps...
--Steve