From: "Aaron Doss" <AaronD@Cadwell.com>
To: "Cathy" <tahoe.cat@verizon.net>; <peter@dascalos.com>
Cc: <pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net>
Sent: Thursday, March 17, 2005 2:19 PM
Subject: RE: [pct-l] Water Purifier/Filter?

Am I the only one who carries a Katadyn Pocket filter? (The name is kind
of ridiculous as it certainly doesn't fit in a pocket!) At 22oz would
you guys consider it overkill for the PCT?

I have owned three water filters, the first two lasted less than a year
each (Pur, and General Ecology). Afterwards since I was fed up with
poorly constructed filters I bought the Katadyn Pocket, it's currently
in it's 7th year of use and has at least 10-20 more left in it.  I know
that I can depend on it.

I have read plenty of accounts of people starting with a lighter plastic
filter, only to have them break (valves usually), afterwards they end up
buying a Pocket filter anyways.  Of course people have used other
filters and had no problems.

So my dilemma is, do I buy a cheaper/lighter filter and risk reliability
or just bring my Katadyn Pocket filter?  Has the quality of plastic
filters been improved in the last 7 years?  Can anyone recommend one?

Aaron