[pct-l] Re: crampons, and Starship

Two topics here.

1.  Actually, Yogi, you did see a thru-hiker
w/crampons -- me. :) I had some small instep crampons
that I used with my trail runners, and they fit very
well, without adding a ton of weight to my pack.
However, I didn't really need them that much.  The
spots where they would have been most useful were
during my descent of Glen Pass (I was careful,
balanced myself with my poles, and used the steps of
those that had gone before me) -- it was early, and
still firm, and during a section between Ebbetts Pass
and Carson Pass, north of Pennsylvania Creek.  I had
unfortunately sent my axe/crampons home from Yosemite,
so getting across this moderately-angled icepatch was
sort of scary.  I'd agree w/Yogi on where this gear
could be most useful.

I did use my crampons to cross a frozen (VERY
slippery) log across a creek into Crabtree Meadows,
and to walk on the rock-hard ice above Sonora Pass.
If I hadn't had my crampons, though, I could have just
waited an hour or so for the snow to soften.

Topic #2:  National Lampoon ran an article about 15
years ago listing fraternity hazing games.  Among such
gems as "Baby Elephant Walk" and "Wookie Cookie", one
game was called "We Built This City", in which pledges
would sit listening to that song played at an
inordinately loud volume, and have to consume some
arbitrary amount of beer before the song is over.
Failure to do so means the process begins anew.

I think the next trail record attempt should be a
thru-hike done entirely to that song.