[pct-l] Backpacking Stoves

Follow-up question to the pro's... (and I feel a little embarassed asking this)

Before I completely ditch the stove, Is there really a compelling reason to pack in a stove for a long hike? I really dig the idea of being able to slap together a little hot meal at night, or something warm for breakfast, but the encumberance of the stove, fuel, dishes, utensils, etc... seems to be highly excess. The last couple of hikes (only one and two nighters) I've left the stove behind and done quite well without it, but it would be good to know if I should pack it for longer hikes.

- Cookie

Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 08:41:04 -0800
From: Rebecca Schroeder <rschroeder@apple.com>
Subject: [pct-l] Backpacking Stoves
To: pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net

This is my first time posting so I hope I am doing this right.  I had a
quick question.  My friend and I are doing a section of the PCT,
lasting roughly two months.  I was just wondering wether we should take
two stoves or one?  Since I have never done a serious long trip like
this, I wanted to get opinions from veterans.  Any information or
opinions would be helpful.  Thank you!