[pct-l] pct

Where is the Pacific Crest trail?  I know where it is, general.  But I may expand my physical fitness plan to the PCT.  In town, well a bit outside of town, up hwy 38 and back down, I started a few weeks ago walking one day 15 minutes, increasing 1 minute every day, I've gotten up to 1 hour or 30 minutes up, so I figure, that's 30 minutes down, if I do the round trip non-stop.  I don't alway increase the next hike 1 minute, I vary is among 1-5 minutes.  My knee was hurting scaring me because of my dad's arthritis which I hear is hereditary, but that's just paranoia.  I'm told, by my PE teacher, a phd is health and fitness, that it may be due to sudenn increase in activity.  I run a few miles 2 days a week, then started the walking.

I want to start this system of increasing each following time, to the PCT, where I'll start with an hour 1 way or maybe 2 if it's not something I do on a daily or weekly basis.  Where can I access the PCT though?  I don't drive currently.  I know I can take an RTA bus to Palm Desert and Palm Springs, and I know that the PCT passes the tram, so, once I get to either of thos cities, how might I get to the PCT? Or where does it go through Big Bear?

I probably need a map of it.
Please don't laugh, I don't have the 100s of miles of experience you do, but I have to start somewhere.
All help will be greatly appreciated?

Kraig