[pct-l] The Melt is on...maybe

Don't put too much effort into worry or planning about the snowmelt
yet. In 2003 we there was much concern about record levels of snow at
the kickoff. There was talk of bouncing to give more time for the snow
to melt.

Early people did have some trouble, but a big part of the pack left on
June 14 - one day BEFORE Ray Day. As we had struggled on through the
desert, the Sierra had record high temperatures and it turned out to
be a farily normal year by the time we got there.

By the same token in a "normal" snowfall year, cooler temperatures and
late precip could leave you with more snow than expected.

The trail will also provide you with fires, lighting storms while you
are on a ridgeline, and plenty of other things that you could worry
about. But the hike will be what it is no matter how you plan or hope
for things to be different. It is very zen in that way.

I think Yogi was the first person who told me to think of the hike as
a series of small hikes - just to the next landmark or town stop. If
you think of it as walking to Canada it is too big an can overwhelm
you.

Much the same with snow and weather. You only have to deal with the
heat of today, crossing the snowfield in front of you, or getting out
of the rain at the moment. And at the time it won't be as big as
"CROSSING THE RECORD SNOWMELT IN THE SIERRA" - it's a day with a wet
ass and cold fingers.

There are struggles and victories every day on the trail. The trail
will provide what you need, just when you need it. It is a wonderful
lesson in living in the moment - because that is all you can really do
out there.

At least that is how I see things. Everyone has their own journey to take.

Boy, now I want to hike it again. That always happens. :)

HYOY

The One
PCT 2003