[pct-l] The Melt is on...maybe

I just got back from Mammoth, and despite the warmer weather, there is still a massive amount of snow in the Central Sierras.  It was in the 60s yesterday, and it's supposed to be 70 degrees there tomorrow, before the next storm moves in early next week.  The peak snow may be over, but by eyesight, there's a helluva lot left to melt off.

-=Donna Saufley=-

-----Original Message-----
From: Don Wilson <don_wilson@mac.com>
Sent: Mar 9, 2005 6:38 PM
To: PCT Mailing List <pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net>
Subject: [pct-l] The Melt is on...maybe

For those of us in the class of 2005, obsessing over snow levels has
become a regular habit over the past two months.  Well, the Sierras are
seeing a drop in depth and snow water content as of today, with several
more warm days to go before things cool down a little.  It's still
early, but the snow picture is looking a little better, with at least a
pretty good chance that we have already reached the peak of snow for
the year.  That could all change very quickly, but there is increasing
chance it seems that the Southern Sierra will be quite reasonable
sometime in mid June.

Lobo