[pct-l] shoe recommendations

I must say that whatever works for you, works for you.  But I found that the
north face shoes I bought at donner lake, lasted 1 week before they killed
my feet.  The lugs on the bottom  just didn;t work, I could feel them
through the sole.  AND I DID USE SUPERFEET!!!

The best shoes I found for me were made by vasque and easily accessible at
rei stores.  Can't remember the name but they were kinda mesh-y. I they were
the velocity low.  They didn't come in wide but were already kinda wide...

I think the new balance shoes would be good but that convex shape of the
801's really didn't work.  I also observed other hikers wearing the shoes
and their feet pronated like crazy too.

In any case, I consider myself a "shoe expert" now that I've walked a couple
thousand miles... Do what you will with that!

http://www.vasque.com/products/m-velocity.cfm

that's the link to the vasque shoes... perfect in every way!!! sole
thickeness was good good ventilation, durable, last long, etc

Peace,
Mouse

>From: "Robert Ellinwood" <rellinwood@worldnet.att.net>
>To: <pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net>
>Subject: RE: [pct-l] shoe recommendations
>Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2005 14:15:38 -0500
>
> > The dreaded choice of shoes!! What to do?? How to pick a good
one??

>Geez, I guess I'm a rather simple guy - in more ways than one.  :)  For
the
>last several thousand miles, my wife and I have given up on finding
"the
>right shoe."  What we use is whatever is *on sale*... that happens
to fit
>(not too tight, comfortably loose), but with an aggressive tread.  Out
comes
>the insole that comes with the shoe, in go our custom orthotics, with a
>Spenco insole added to that, and we hike in 'em til they fall apart,
smiling
>all the way (well, almost all the way).  We enjoy getting last year's
models
>at $30-50 off.  I feel that certain companies are so competitive with
their
>designs and structure integrity that you really can't go wrong.
>
>As for Mouse's: " north face shoes are also terrible... kill the
bottoms of
>your feet..."
>
>Everyone's different.  I'm using some North Face Vapor Lights to start
the
>PCT with this summer.  Most breathable shoe I've found.   Used it
before.
>Good insoles, like the Superfeet or Spencos (which I have used for over
20
>years now), might help what he is referring to.
>
>HYOH... or walk in your own shoes... or limp however you may...
whatever.

>â??He who limps is still walking.â??    -  Stanislaw Lec,   Unkempt
Thoughts