[pct-l] shoe recommendations

Did you have insoles? Better arch support may be better for you.

Also as far as I have known, NB makes shoes for running and sports that use a ball (I have a pair of 642's for racquetball). I can't attest to the quality of their hikers.

I have lots of praise for Vasque, as it's the boot that I do own. Vasque _only_ makes boots for hiking. They do make trail-runners too, which are a step away from the typical hiker, but their main focus is on hikers. If that's all they make, then they can focus all their energy into making their product best. North Face makes all sorts of outdoorsy products, so their focus can't be directed too well at anything in particular (although they do make good jackets and sleeping bags).

If you are picking the best hiker you can buy (which you seem to be doing), get a hiker from a company that makes nothing but hikers. You won't lose on that route. I used similar psychology when I bought my sleeping bag. Western Mountaineering makes nothing but down sleeping bags. I invested big money in their Ultralite, but it's well worth it because I have the best sleeping bag that I can get.

- Brian

(I should start using my trail name - "Cookie")

Joseph Niemiec <whitethunder10@hotmail.com> wrote:
I bought the 801'a for part of my hike. They were terrible!!!! I noticed
they were made with almost a convex sole -weird i know. They made my feet
pronate like crazy... north face shoes are also terrible... kill the bottms
of your feet...

Mouse

>From: Brian Weber <pies_con_queso@yahoo.com>
>To: pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net
>Subject: RE: [pct-l] shoe recommendations
>Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2005 10:16:23 -0800 (PST)
>
>The dreaded choice of shoes!! What to do?? How to pick a good one??
>
> >From the research I've done on shoes, you really have to try on a
bunch of them before making the investment unless you already know exactly
what you want (kinda like cars).

>Every shoe manufacturer uses a "last" for forming their shoes.
A last is a standard mold of a foot. There are certain standards for size,
but manufacturers often have varying shapes of lasts (higher/lower arch,
wider/narrower at the toe, etc...) just as many different people have many
different shapes of feet. Ideally, we have to find the shoe that best
matches our feet. If we find that brand of shoe, then it would be beneficial
to stick with it. When trying on shoes, I always consider the space consumed
by my thick wool socks and gel insoles. The right shoe will fit... they
can't be roomy or tight, they have to be on-the-money for the best foot
health. Ideally, when in doubt, go a half-size bigger than expected, but no
more. Too much play in your boot will cause blisters.

>On top of that, considering this is a community of long-distance hikers,
durability, comfort, and weight are key factors as well. I bought a pair of
Vasque mid's on clearance (can't recall what style) and have been quite
pleased. They are quite durable, and are comfortable for distance hikes. In
fact, the only time they are somewhat uncomfortable is when I'm walking on
hard pavement. They are bullet-proof, breathable, water-resistant (not
water-tight, I can't ford deep puddles), and not too heavy for a sturdy
hiking boot.

>Also, just as feet swell in heat, fabrics give way too. With a softer
shoe (e.g. trail runners, tennis shoes, basketball shoes), I find myself
tightening down the laces more as the day wears on, especially if the
activity is strenuous (such as tennis or basketball). I haven't had that
trouble with my Vasque mids, most likely because the materials used are much
more durable.