[pct-l] Etna Summit

Etna. Great, clean, very small old town with very warm people.
End of this August we hiked 18 miles with heavy rain and high cold winds
that pushed the rain uphill against the mountains.  My hiking partner for
the Northern California portion got to the road about 2 pm a hundred yards
ahead of me.  Fog was so thick I couldn't see the road.  Before I got there
she already had a ride for us, a local gold mining couple. Of course she
was much better looking than me.  It was the ONLY vehicle on the mountain.
They not only brought us to town, they offered to drive us to any of the
other towns nearby....anywhere.
The postmaster got on the phone and found us a few places to stay, two
free.  We bought dry clothes and shoes for $3.00 each at the local thrift
shop.
We found laundry, great food, a good grocery store, denatured alcohol , the
old soda fountain with a hiker's register, a clinic, and a coffee house
with the best coffee I had in all California.  Most of this was on Main
Street or The Street.  This sectioin was just over one block long. We
stayed an extra day.
A lot of people, unsolicited, were eager to connect us with a couple of
local trail angels.  One was out of town, but his home, with great hiker
boxes, was unlocked with signs welcoming hikers to make themselves at home
but leave the door open so the cat could get in and out.  The other loved
giving hikers rides, not only back to the summit, but as far north as
Ashland and recently one I-5 hiker farther than that.
We made a lot of genuine friends in two days.  I called home and said I
found a place to consider for retirement.
I'll be back.

Warner Springs Monty