[pct-l] what do thru-hiker map fanatics do?

My son and I are thru-hiking this year and I love maps.  What's a
person to do? It seems like most thru-hikers rely on the maps in the
guidebooks.  I have grown accustom to perusing maps for pleasure, on
and off the trail.  I like to know the names of places, have a little
color, write details on them as a record of the hike...

I've thought about printing my own maps (I have the CD-ROM map set) and
using the reverse sides as my journal.  We will be attempting to
rendezvous with relatives and friends during the hike and will rely on
some unusual access trails.

I'd appreciate hearing different ideas about this.

Connie