[pct-l] what do thru-hiker map fanatics do?

I know CDT hikers who did exactly what you described -- printed maps from a CD and used the reverse side for a journal.  I think this is a GREAT idea!  When you get home and read your journal, you can flip the page over, look at the map, and REALLY be taken back in time.

I haven't seen the PCT CD-ROM map set, so I can't comment on those maps.  But the maps in the Guidebooks are really all you need.  And they're cheap.

yogi
www.pcthandbook.com

Connie Davis <conniedavis@earthlink.net> wrote:
My son and I are thru-hiking this year and I love maps. What's a
person to do? It seems like most thru-hikers rely on the maps in the
guidebooks. I have grown accustom to perusing maps for pleasure, on
and off the trail. I like to know the names of places, have a little
color, write details on them as a record of the hike...

I've thought about printing my own maps (I have the CD-ROM map set) and
using the reverse sides as my journal. We will be attempting to
rendezvous with relatives and friends during the hike and will rely on
some unusual access trails.

I'd appreciate hearing different ideas about this.

Connie