[pct-l] Kearsarge Pass resupply

The trailhead is very nice. The drive up there is scary, but paved the whole
way. I used mapquest to find the following driving times to Independence,
adding on 1/2 hr. for the drive up to the trailhead.

>From SLT: 5.5 hrs.
from the north end of LA (San Fernando Valley): 4.7 hrs.

Happy hiking

-----Original Message-----
From: pct-l-bounces@mailman.backcountry.net
[mailto:pct-l-bounces@mailman.backcountry.net]On Behalf Of Victor
Hanson-Smith
Sent: Saturday, January 15, 2005 1:54 AM
To: pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net
Subject: [pct-l] Kearsarge Pass resupply

Hey all,
I am in the middle of organizing my 2005 thru-hike.

I'm planning to hike over Kearsarge Pass to the Onion Valley
Campground to resupply.  However, having thru-hiked the JMT, I am
pretty sure that I DON'T want to interrupy my Sierra experience by
hitching all the way into Independence.  Fortunately, I think I can
convince a family friend to rendezvous with me at the Kearsarge Pass
Trailhead. . . depending on how much work is involved.

That said, does anyone know about the driving time to the Kearsarge
Pass Trailhead from South Lake Tahoe?  What about from L.A.?  Is the
road from Hwy 395 to Onion Valley even paved?  Finally, is the
Kearsarge Pass Trailhead "nice"... a place that someone wouldn't mind
hanging out for a couple hours?

Thanks for any help!
-Victor