[pct-l] Re: digital camera

On our thru hike this year, I carried the Canon S50 and was quite
happy.  Its heavier than some of the tiny ones, but I preferred its manual
controls.  You just have to decide what your purchasing priorities are:
weight, size, functionality, quality.  For model comparisons and reviews,
also see:
http://www.imaging-resource.com/

I carried three 256Mb cards and shot 4000+ pictures.  I bounced a Micro
Solutions RoadStor card reader/CD burner to get my pictures safely
home.  It worked great and all our web site fans were content.

I also carried a spare battery and charger the entire way (4.8 oz total),
charged the batteries at every possible spot, and only ran low once.  One
battery was the original Canon 570mA battery.  Since replacement Canon
batteries are about $60, I bought a third party battery on ebay and was
thrilled.  It cost $13 including shipping, worked great, and has 900mA of
charge capacity.  I believe that you can now get a similar 1200mA battery
for about the same cost.  Pay attention to the charge capacity, it is
significant.  Since I had a good supply of rechargeable power, I took more
pictures, editted every evening, and ended up with better pictures.

Cheers
Dave "Packman"
www.studiozoic.com/adventures/2004/pct