[pct-l] RE: Digital Camera

just thought i'd add a quick 2 cents on this... as far as lower-end
digital cameras go, i found that the sony dsc-u60 is really ideal for
hiking/outdoors. they don't make it anymore, but you can get them on
ebay for around $150 or so. i got lucky and got mine at fry's on
closeout at $99.00! now i wish i had bought up all they had left...

anyway, it's very rugged (doesn't need a case for protection), small,
one-hand operation, can take pics up to 5 feet underwater, uses AAA
batteries, has a great automatic macro-mode for close-ups... it's only
2.0 megapixels, but the image quality is acceptable. i took mine on the
jmt, and it was very convenient because it's small/light enough to be
kept in my pocket constantly, so i never missed a shot. the one-hand
operation means that all i have to do is reach in my pocket, grab the
camera, turn it on (it powers up and is ready to shoot in about 1
second), take the shot, and put it back in my pocket. all with one hand,
didn't even have to ditch my trekking poles. so i took alot more pics
than i normally would (i'm not really a photo freak). with a 256mb card,
i get over 400 pics.

anyway, the pics on my jmt journal were all taken with that camera:

http://www.trailjournals.com/peanutjmt04/

cheers-
pea