[pct-l] Technology on the Trail

>When you're around other people, you can't impose your
>ideas of how things "should be" on them.  They have just
>as much right to have a cell phone as I do to NOT have one.
>This is true in the grocery store, at airports, in the middle
>of the PCT, or on Mt. Whitney.  It's like the people in the
>restaurant where I work who get pissed when there is a
>crying child at a nearby table.  If you want a quiet dinner
>by yourself, then stay at home.  The second you go where
>other people have every right to be, you lose the opportunity
>to control your environment.

How can I say this?

What ever happend to social norms of behavior? Or politeness and
consideration of others instead of rudeness and don't give a damm about
others.

If I'm in a fast-food joint or a Dennys or similar, then unfortunately a
crying baby make come with the territory.  If I'm in a fancy dining
establishment geared to adults, then I think crying babies and noisy
kids should be present; such establishments just aren't for kids.

In a similar situation, I was at a gathering to observe MLK day. One
couple brought their young child. The child started crying. The couple
excused themselves and left the gathering rather than subjecting the
rest of us to the disruption. The couple showed consideration and
politeness.

As to cell phones, how many of the conversations are really necessary
especially at that time? When I'm socializing/conversing with friends, I
consider it very rude from them to answer a call (cell or regular phone)
and then start a new social conversation while ignoring me. What's wrong
with telling the caller that you'll call back when you are free.

Just because one can phone from almost anywhere doesn't mean one should.

John