[pct-l] Technology on the Trail

I did not even carry a watch on my thru-hike.  I kept track of the day of the
week in my journal for post office purposes.  I carried a cheap, plastic
compass and only used it a few times.  There wasn't even such a thing as calling
cards then.  I sent my supply sender a post card from each point telling them
where I was and when and when I expected to reach the next supply point.

The trail was much less well known, much less well marked, considered much
more dangerous and risky to hike, and yet, no one was attacked by a bear, no one
lost their life, no one was seriously injured.  Many of us spent a lot of
time lost or walking in circles (I did a 17 mile circle just north of Arrowhead
one day and was so pissed at myself I almost, well, smacked myself! Should have
used that stupid compass).

I do remember catching a ride in Washington from the trail over to Paradise
Lodge to climb Rainier.  The guy that picked us up had an 8 track tape (if you
know what this is then you are older than 25!) of Chick Correa and it sounded
like the finest music that my ears had ever heard, and made me realize just
how much I missed music.

When the MP3 players get under 1 ounce and carry 1,000 songs, then I will
carry one and listen to it occasionally when I'm feeling low out there on the
trail or in my bag at night.  I still wont carry a watch.   I won't carry a GPS
either, nor a phone, nor a radio.   No need.

Hiking is where I go to get away from all of the mechanized - electolyzed -
technolyzed - analyzed - politicized world.

Greg