[pct-l] Technology on the Trail

Thoreau was the first spaced cadet, losted in space.  Clark had Indian
Guides, Muir just wandered around never knew were is was going so he was  never
lost. At the turn of the century navigation was a required subject in  school. So
who needed a GPS. You checked the sun for time. The computer was a  pencil
and you used your head to calculate not a calculator. Radio! Just  learn to
yodel like they do in the Alps.

That solved everthing

Lonetrail:

I often  wonder how H.D. Thoreau or John Muir or Clinton Clarke would have
felt if they  were alive today about hikers and their need to bring technology
into the  wilderness with them. I'm not writing of fancy clothing or Sil-Nylon
shelters  but of this craving--this apparent necessity--to carry a digital
altimeter  watch or a GPS unit;