[pct-l] Musical instruments on the trail

Anybody ever try carrying a Native American type flute on
the trail?

I play guitar, but find the idea of packing even the lighter
"backpacking" guitars to be the equivalent of a mouse
carrying a grand piano - one or the other is bound to get
hurt at some point.

Harmonicas are lightweight, but oh so tricky to play with
any sense of dignity. (I was hoping I'd end up the next
Howard Levy, but it just ain't so.)

That leaves the kazoo, the juice harp, and of course the
hand flute. A hand flute musician - technically called a
manualist (seriously! there's a guy from PA who plays an
amazing set of hands) - has the ultimate in lightweight,
packable entertainment. But most amateur hand-fluters have
trouble with pitch and possess a notable lack of range.

So we're back to the Native American flute. The higher
pitched models are relatively small, and hollowed cedar or
mahogany keeps them light. Again, deceptively tricky to play
with any degree of integrity, and pretty squirrely on tone
without "the right stuff." But beautiful if you happen to
know what you're doing. And perfect, I would think, for the
wilderness.

Anyone?

www.coyoteoldman.com (the real deal)

- blisterfree

Simblissity Ultralight :: One-of-a-Kind Designs for the
Great Outdoors
www.simblissity.net