[pct-l] Question for the ladies

Elizabeth from Ohio,

I used to have long hair before I hiked the AT.  I got an A-line bob
(chin-length) for the AT and it worked great.  I have fine hair and it tends
to get ratted up pretty easy when long.   Even in a pony tail, between the
wind and being a wallower in the sleeping bag, I would wake up with an easy
15 minutes of combing misery to get the tangles out.  With a short bob, I
can finger comb my hair and I never have problems with "rats".  There are
advantages to keeping enough hair on your neck to keep off the sun and the
bugs.  Having hair over my ears during mosquitoe time also is an advantage
of not going too short.

I found that thru-hiking changed the level of enthusiasm that I felt about
my personal appearance on and off the trail.  It has been quite liberating.
  I would be curious to hear about other women's experiences re: the
depletion of circulating estrogen levels as their thru-hiked progressed.

Hitching Post