[pct-l] National Geographic TOPO! online free PCT download

If you check around online you should find Topo! State series cheaper than
$100. I used Google and found $80 at GPSNOW. Maybe you can find it even
cheaper.

Another National Geographic series is BackRoads Explorer. I found it for $55
online. It contains topo maps of all 50 states. The hitch is that the
highest resolution maps are not 1 to 24,000 topos (quads) like in the state
series. Back Roads only goes down to 1:100,000.

I just found an additional program called "Streets and 3D, extension" (
something like that). It turns out it is version 4 of  the Topo program.
State series is version 3.4. It costs $20, and requires a state series
program to install. I like the newer interface and it has some neat
features. The most visual is the ability to fly in 3D along a route you have
traced on the maps. You see the mountains other features moving past you as
you fly along. I just got it so I am still exploring the features. It looks
like a good way to checkout the terrain along a trail though.

All these different Topo programs work with each other. I used Back Road
Explorer for 49 states and Topo CA for California. They worked seamlessly
together. The difference was when I scrolled into California I got quads at
the highest resolution.

Ken