[pct-l] Is the " Golden Age Over?"

I feel a little bepressed after that, but there is some
truth to it. At some point the trail will probably get
"popular", our "mid sized meetings" of 300 or so people
will one day grow to over 1000, and water permits, are an
interesting idea, but the point is we may get to the point
where we have designated points or maybe just areas that we
can camp. I had that happen about 6 years ago, when doing
Half Dome in Yosemity. we couldn't camp at Little Yosemity
on our first night, because we came in from the valley
floor to Glacier Point to Little Yosemity campground.

 But today the permits are free, about 300-400 people
attempt a thru-hike a year. You will probably get to know
most hiker names, or just "Mike" his real name. Some water
spots can run low or out at the begining of the trail, but
thats probably not a very big problem now. The trail is not
heavly worn, so you still need to take a Trail guide with
maps to make sure you don't get lost.

Class of 2005, enjoy your hike. The PCT has gotten some
popularity, but it is still mostly a little known activity
among so many other things that the greater public does.

Enjoy for Section, Thru, partial, slacked, skipped, or
otherwise PCT Trek in 2005.

Your fellow hiker of 2005.

-Mountain Goat-
www.geocites.com/pct_2005

[pct-l] Is the " Golden Age Over?"
Monte Dodge montedodge at msn.com

 A few of us were talking at the Kick-off about how this is
really  " The Golden Age" of the PCT. The number of hikers
are perfect for the trail,,,big enough to meet new people,
but not overwhelming as the AT.
   My take is it is still in the golden age but not for
much longer . We have lost so many great places in the last
few years that are so personal to the PCT thru- hiker.
    The loss of the Pink Motel is the last of many cool
spots where hikers can enjoy each other's company away from
town and city stops. Jack Fair will never really be
replaced, nor the Pink Motel, nor Butch, nor Etna Summit's
Hiker Haven or free camping at the Fire Station in Big
Bear!!
    Donna and Jeff's place in Aqua-Dulce is as well known
as any Mountain or Lake along the PCT in the minds of the
PCT hiker. Paul and Pat's place in Anza at Hiker Oasis is
another awesome spot at lives in the minds of past hikers.
     It will be interesting to see how the next 25 years
pass on the PCT.  Will other folks fill the shoes of other
trail angels as time passes? Will trail numbers increase so
you no longer know the names of most the folks hiking the
PCT the same year as you did? Will thru-hiker permits be
free as a bird while weekend warriors pay through the nose
for a weekend trip? More folks usually bring about more
regulations in time. Regulations in time usually bring
along more fees.
     My take??? The PCT IS in it's " Golden Age" .. Hike it
soon before the age is over. ( They will in 2020 say, "
Remember the Kick-Off Parties we use to have at Lake
Morena? ". Back then there were only 300 people!!) Kick-Off
2020 may well have Meadow Ed sitting in a chair with a cane
talking through a micro phone pinned to his shirt
addressing 2,500 hikers as to where the water will be
stored and making sure they all have their water trail
permit and the day they are to be allowed to get water to
said spot. Charlie and Chuck will have a water truck left
from the gulf war to haul 20,000 gallon's to Chariot Canyon
and Scissors crossing. Daily journals will speak of making
it to my permit camping site by noon buy not allowed to
hike farther as this is where I am to camp ..........