[pct-l] Is the " Golden Age Over?"

I maintain that some of the reason for the surge in
thru-hiker numbers, across the board, has to do with a
realization that the golden age of SOCIETY is slipping past,
and is doing so in direct proportion to our alienation from,
and extermination of, the natural places which the great
trails attempt to promote, protect, and which are actually
replacing society at large as a place of kinship, a place of
centeredness and belonging, and for some folks (however
indirectly) even a place of livelihood.

Long-distance hiking is not a fad. Many folks are having
their needs fulfilled out there in a way that society simply
cannot do anymore, perhaps never could do. The trails allow
for the ultimate making of the Individual, something the
American dream has long promoted but never really delivered
on. Because it can't. As someone around here once put it,
"To walk in the wilderness is freedom."

- blisterfree

Simblissity Ultralight :: One-of-a-Kind Designs for the
Great Outdoors
www.simblissity.net