[pct-l] Is the " Golden Age Over?"

 A few of us were talking at the Kick-off about how this is really  " The Golden Age" of the PCT. The number of hikers are perfect for the trail,,,big enough to meet new people, but not overwhelming as the AT.
   My take is it is still in the golden age but not for much longer . We have lost so many great places in the last few years that are so personal to the PCT thru- hiker.
    The loss of the Pink Motel is the last of many cool spots where hikers can enjoy each other's company away from town and city stops. Jack Fair will never really be replaced, nor the Pink Motel, nor Butch, nor Etna Summit's Hiker Haven or free camping at the Fire Station in Big Bear!!
    Donna and Jeff's place in Aqua-Dulce is as well known as any Mountain or Lake along the PCT in the minds of the PCT hiker. Paul and Pat's place in Anza at Hiker Oasis is another awesome spot at lives in the minds of past hikers.
     It will be interesting to see how the next 25 years  pass on the PCT.  Will other folks fill the shoes of other trail angels as time passes? Will trail numbers increase so you no longer know the names of most the folks hiking the PCT the same year as you did? Will thru-hiker permits be free as a bird while weekend warriors pay through the nose for a weekend trip? More folks usually bring about more regulations in time. Regulations in time usually bring along more fees.
     My take??? The PCT IS in it's " Golden Age" .. Hike it soon before the age is over. ( They will in 2020 say, " Remember the Kick-Off Parties we use to have at Lake Morena? ". Back then there were only 300 people!!) Kick-Off 2020 may well have Meadow Ed sitting in a chair with a cane talking through a micro phone pinned to his shirt addressing 2,500 hikers as to where the water will be stored and making sure they all have their water trail permit and the day they are to be allowed to get water to said spot. Charlie and Chuck will have a water truck left from the gulf war to haul 20,000 gallon's to Chariot Canyon and Scissors crossing. Daily journals will speak of making it to my permit camping site by noon buy not allowed to hike farther as this is where I am to camp ..........