[pct-l] Vacationing with a thru-hiker?

Unfortunately, Greyhound cut a lot of service in Washington and Oregon and I think places like Snoqualmie was one of them.  Snoqualmie to Skykomish, or Skykomish to Stehekin would be real top flight sections and about the right length and are about as pretty as anything on the trail.    If there is still bus service to Snoqualmie and Skykomish (Stevens Pass), all is good. Snoqualmie is about 60 miles from SeaTac.

I think SoCal is stunning, but many people do not and desert hiking is something that is a little to jump into (I broke two friends in 2003 doing this). But, I really liked Agua Dulce to Mojave and you could probably arrange public transit without too many problems through LA.  Fly to LA, local bus out to Santa Clarita.

 If there is anyway to stretch the days or lengthen miles, Tuolumne Meadows to South Lake Tahoe (about 150 miles) is the prettiest section of the entire trail (no one better disagree with me on this one!)  Getting to either end should not be a problem, although it will mean a few buses to get to Tuolumne.

In Oregon, the stretch from Sisters to, say, Timberline is about 120ish miles.  Keep on to Cascade Locks for 164.  Not super hard miles.  Not the most scenic either, but pleasant.  Fly into Portland and Greyhound it to Sisters (might have to go to Bend), where she'll meet you. Hitch back up to MacKenzie Pass and hike to Cascade Locks.  I think Greyhound service to CL has been terminated, but I also think it still runs to Hood River, which is a close hitch.

Suge

Christopher Willett
cwillett@pierce.ctc.edu
www.pierce.ctc.edu/faculty/cwillett