Fwd: Re: [pct-l] Vacationing with a thru-hiker?

------- Forwarded message -------
From: "Jeffrey Zimmerman" <jeffreyn@sonic.net>
To: "Chris Willett" <CWillett@pierce.ctc.edu>
Subject: Re: [pct-l] Vacationing with a thru-hiker?
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 16:55:11 -0800

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 12:35:04 -0800, Chris Willett
<CWillett@pierce.ctc.edu> wrote:

> ... If there is anyway to stretch the days or lengthen miles, Tuolumne
> Meadows to South Lake Tahoe (about 150 miles) is the prettiest section
> of the entire trail (no one better disagree with me on this one!)
> Getting to either end should not be a problem, although it will mean a
> few buses to get to Tuolumne. ...

That was going to be my suggestion!  I would suggest Amtrak from the Bay
Area down the valley, with the connecting bus to Yosemite Valley and then
YARTS to Tuloumne Meadows (unless she wants to hike up from Happy Isles).
Then a return from Truckee -- again via Amtrak -- will get her right back
to the Bay Area.  There would be some details on the airport-Amtrak
connection, but I'm sure there are shuttles, but I suspect Oakland would
be preferred to SFO for that purpose.  There might be similar connections
available at either Sacramento or Reno, too.

--
Jeffrey Neil Zimmerman
Sonoma County, The Left Coast