[pct-l] A bit much

Dear Judy,

I was deeply alarmed that there could be an interpretation of disparaging treatment of section hikers set off by the message entitled "a bit much",  but it couldn't be farther from the case.  Please know with certainty that section hikers are regarded with parity.  The fact is, there are more section hikers who use the Trail on an annual basis than there are thru-hikers.  Somehow, because I said that section hikers have a greater tendency to talk about their occupations, this has been taken as a criticism.  I don't know why.  It's okay to talk about what you do.  It's just that the thru-hikers seldom do; perhaps because they are out there for a longer duration, they identify with being unemployed (just a private theory).

My husband Jeff and I host the hikers as they pass through Agua Dulce, CA.  We take in EVERYONE, and their animals too.  Because I have people in our home, driving our cars, and staying literally as long as they need to, I try to be very careful in screening people as they arrive, and validating that they're really out hiking the trail.  I try to do this subtly, so as not to negate the hospitality being offered by outward suspicion, and have learned how to read things people say as clues to what they're doing.

The following two paragraphs are an excerpt from my response to the post which insinuated some unfair treatment of section hikers:

I have learned how to discern a section hiker from a thru-hiker based on the things
they talk about.  Think about it -- it's only logical that people talk about what
they're immersed in, and it's consistently the case.  It is a skill that I've honed
not to be discriminatory, but to be safety-conscious.  There have been interlopers
from outside of the hiking community who have tried to take advantage of our hospitality.
I really listen to what people are saying when I meet them; they give away a lot
of clues about what they're doing.  I ask questions to verify whether someone is
really out hiking the trail or trying to squat at our place.  Through this process
I have learned that thru-hikers almost never identify themselves by their occupations,
but short-term section hikers will.  Just an observation, not a criticism.

We host and support section hikers just the same as we do thrus; we've never discriminated,
and enjoy being able to host everyone, regardless of destination or duration.  Every
section hiker out there who's stayed here knows that is true.  The fact is, we have
the utmost of respect for those who do the PCT in sections; in many ways it takes
more effort and commitment to cover the ground over a period of years than it does
to do it in five or so months.  I myself am a section and not a thru hiker!!!<<<<

I feel very bad that for even a moment you thought that section hikers are somehow second class citizens on the PCT.  It just ain't so.

-=Donna Saufley=-