[pct-l] A bit much

I work as a waitress in a busy steak house in Kansas City.  By
listening to my guests' conversations, I can tell if they live in the
metro area, in a nearby small town, or if they are tourists.  Yes,
believe it or not, we get tourists here in Kansas City.  I've never
figured out why, but they do exist.

Anyway, the point of this story is that people draw on different
experiences.  And then they speak.  By listening to others, we
form general opinions on where those people are from.

It's the same thing with hikers.  Weekend-hikers, section-hikers,
and thru-hikers draw on different experiences.  And then they
speak.  Based on what the hiker says, it's easy to form a general
opinion about whether that hiker is out for the weekend, a couple
weeks, or 5 months.

Thru-hikers are great.
Section-hikers are great.
Weekend-hikers are GREAT (capitalized because they always
have extra food).

I realize that emails and forum posts are frequently interpreted by
the recipient in a different light than the sender intended.  I've
certainly been on both ends of a forum/email misunderstanding.
Please don't think that section-hikers are not welcome on this
forum, at the Kickoff, or any other trail-related place.  Many of
the frequent posters on PCT-L are section-hikers.  Everyone has
something to contribute. :)  :)  :)

yogi
www.pcthandbook.com

Glkroeker@aol.com wrote:
Right on, be nice to the section hikers.

This is my first post, I have been lurking for about a year now, gleaning all
sorts of info and ideas. My husband and I (61 and 57) are section hikers.
We hiked Oregon the summer of 2003, half of Washington last summer until
sidelined by a knee injury and hope to finish Washington this summer and tackle
California the summer of 2006. Our longest hikes are about 6 days, then I go back
to work for a week, and then out we go again. We are very proud of what we
have accomplished, and to my knowledge, have never told anyone what we "do"
unless we are asked - and then we just say Gary is retired and I work.

This summer in Washington we met (actually, were passed) by some of the first
thru hikers. We were so excited to meet them, we are in awe of the
tremendous dedication it must take to thru hike - and want to know all about them, how
much weight they carry, how long they have been on the trail, how far do they
go each day etc, etc, etc.

We were thinking about coming to the Kick Off this year, but when I read what
I consider somewhat disaparaging remarks about section hikers, I wonder how
welcomed section hikers really are into the PCT community. I think section
hikers bring a lot of interest and support to the PCT and our experiences, though
not the same as thru hikers', certainly bring us to the same place of awe and
appreciation for the wilderness. Lots of people are wrapped up in their
identity - and they aren't just the section hikers.

Respectfully,

Judy Kroeker