[pct-l] Pack Weights.

Hi Alan,

On Thu, 6 Jan 2005, Alan Julliard wrote:
>  Based on my experience, I'd say a hiker today could
> go more than 20 days without resupply and have a pack
> weight under 50 pounds.

I did something similar this fall. I carried food for 2 for 10 days. Now
my dad carried the tarptent and my sleeping bag. I carried a Rolleicord
(film still undeveloped :-( ), fishing gear, two bear cans and 4 beer cans
as luxury items. For a picture of Guinness at Kern Hot spring:
http://www.sierra.ws/gallery/album03/DSCN1857

We left the Sierra with some food left. I don't like the idea of
hitchhiking and frequent resupplies! I have fantasies of hiking a month
without resupply. Not fast.

Oh, on the other hand counting ounces allows for carrying some extra items
when hiking with friends, like a 5l keg (but don't make them too used to
it) or a wetsuit for swimming in a High Sierra lake. (I'm a wimp.)

Ilja.