From: pct-l-bounces@mailman.backcountry.net
[mailto:pct-l-bounces@mailman.backcountry.net] On Behalf Of Mark Verber
Sent: Tuesday, January 04, 2005 6:10 PM
To: Don Fletcher
Cc: pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net
Subject: [BULK] - Re: [pct-l] Pack weight to body weight ratio...

> Hey : does anyone have any thoughts about body weight to pack weight
> ratios , for optimum physiologic work while hiking??
>  I have tried to find some science on this to no avail ( so far )
>   Don ( malachi , trail name )

Optimal is a zero pack weight.  Alas, that is typically not practical.
 Conventional wisdom is that more than 1/4 of body is definetely *not*
optimal.  My experience is that whenever my pack gets more than 1/6 my
weight I really start to notice it.  Hmm.. when my daughter's pack get
more than 1/6 her weight she starts complaining.

I recall an article in a sports medical journal (or maybe it was from
the Army's research center) that had some data related to this question.
I can't find the article right now... but if I did it up and will send
you a copy.

--mark