[pct-l] Guidebooks - don't leave home without them

I got three emails this weekend from 2005 PCT hikers asking
some form of this question:

"Do I need to carry the Guidebooks, or is the Data Book
enough?  I'm trying to reduce my pack weight and the
Guidebooks seem like unnecessary weight."

Yes, yes, yes, you need to carry the Guidebooks!!  You need
the maps, you need the text description of the trail.  PCT trail
junctions are rarely signed with a "PCT that-a-way" arrow.
Instead, the trail sign (if there even is a sign) will have something
like "Shadow Lake" and an arrow.  The other trail at the same
junction may be signed as "Blue Lake" with an arrow.  You have
to choose which trail to take, and the Guidebook maps/text tell
you where to go.

The Guidebooks not only have maps and text description for the
PCT, but for many alternate routes as well.  The official PCT is
made to accommodate horses.  Many of the alternate routes
are cool hiker-only trails.  Someone told me once that his
theory on choosing a route is "always take the most scenic
route".  Sometimes, the official PCT is less scenic than an
alternate.

PCT hikers do not carry a whole book.  We tear the books
apart and carry only the pages needed for the section we're
hiking.  Guidebook pages for future sections are put into
bounce boxes or resupply boxes.

Guidebook pages are not unnecessary weight.  You need
to have them with you.  It's part of being prepared.  If you
were taking a road trip to a part of the country you'd never
been to before, you'd have road maps in your car, right?
The same is true for the PCT.  Guidebooks - don't leave
home without them.

yogi
www.pcthandbook.com