[pct-l] digital camera Canon Sureshot A70

I've been using the Canon Sureshot A70  3.2megapixel which is now going on 2yrs old. I bought it for the trail since it uses 4-AA batteries which are available everywhere and mailable. When on long hikes I use Lithium batteries by Eveready, which weigh 30percent less and give me 500 photos per set. Locally I use the rechargeable NiMh -AA batteries which recharge quickly in 3 hrs or less. I carry two 256mb cards and one 512mb card giving me a gig of memory and about 700 photos. When I bought it, the lens was the widest angle with 3X optical zoom I could find, 5.4mm-16.2mm and f2.8-f4.8 ; ( 35mm-105mm on a 35mmSLR scale). I rarely use the digital 3X+ zoom since you lose photo crispness. The macro photo program is excellent, and I can shoot flowers from about 2inches away with incredible clarity and depth. The Canon Sureshots can also accept 52mm filters with an adaptor, and I use a polarizer, etc for scenics. It has several program modes for photo control and can take long time exposures up to 15seconds.  I shot 35mm Kodachrome for 30 years, and the Canon is capable of taking superb scenic photos, the color being close to slides, but since it's a point and shoot, there is some sacrifice in crispness. It's a pretty tough camera too; last summer it fell 3ft out of my daypack onto a rock in the Sierra without a problem, cept for the scratch on the lcd display to remember it by. I recommend the Canon Sureshot for hikers wanting the flexibility of using filters to capture scenics, nice lens, good light and time control, standard compact flash cards, and the simple AA batteries it uses. The Canon Sureshots available today would surpass my little A70 in megapixels and be cheaper; I paid $300 not including flash cards,filter adaptor, filters, and card reader.. No regrets!