[pct-l] Shipping/Transporting gear from east to west.

On Dec 30, 2004, at 3:31 PM, Jason Waicunas wrote:
> 1. Will TSA/airport security allow me to put my gear-filled pack
> inside of a box after they inspect it in order to protect from
> damage/theft during transport?
A suggestion: I bought an $8 duffel bag at Walmart and packed all my
gear inside it
for the flight out.  The pack was empty and flattened on the bottom
with all my
stuff bags on top so that the inspectors could poke thru them as
needed.  You can
mail the duffel bag back at your destination, toss it out, give it
away, whatever.

> 2. What method is best for shipping items such as knives, fuel
> bottles(empty/clean), ice axe, crampons, etc. from the east coast to
> the west coast?

Everything except the fuel bottles can be checked thru (not carried on)
with
your gear on the airlines.  Empty (even if clean) fuel bottles might be
problem on the airlines.  Of course if you are using Gatorade or other
plastic
bottles, this won't be a problem.  Stoves can also be a problem
although a
tin-can/tune-can stove probably won't set off any warning bells.  I've
checked
my pocket rocket in the past.  I can't see any logical reason why a
disassembled
stove should cause problems but that doesn't mean it won't.

All these items can be shipped by the USPS as far as I know although my
mom
did get a weird response from the postal clerk when she tried to get a
box for
my ice axe.  He said that they couldn't ship the ice axe because it was
weapon.  Huh?  Since there are regulations that deal with shipping
firearms
via USPS/FedEx/UPS, I don't know what this guy was thinking.
I did a quick google search and couldn't find anything regarding USPS
regulations
on weapons (other than firearms).  She shipped it anyway.

If you want to ship fuel, see http://gottawalk.com/shipping_fuel.htm
for a good
summary.

Radar