[pct-l] Dress Me Up & Pack Me Out, Part 3

Dunno much about the buzz off clothing itself, but I loved the Sawyer
Permethrin treatment.  Its a spray on for clothing and works great.  I'd be in a
group of deet covered hikers and I'd be the least bothered, even when not using
deet.  Deet is, of course, a must have for the worst spots.  I had one hairy log
crossing (at night, all alone, raging creek below) where the millions of
mosquitos nearly cost me my balance - that was the last time i let someone else
carry the deet.

One of Blue Moon and Right On's great discoveries was Coghlan's Mosquito
Coils.  They're really light, super cheap, and take up very little space.  When
stopping in buggy areas, we'd light 3 of them in a triangle around us, and
suddenly the bugs would be gone.  Nearly miraculous.  Dunno about potential health
effeccts...

As for clothing:
daywear: I tried to carry a pair of socks a day (they're not that heavy!),
and wore the same long-sleeve ex-officio shirt and ex-officio long pants the
whole trip.  For some of the sierra fords, I just took em off to keep them from
getting wet. I wore the same wide-brimmed hat the whole way.
nighttime: I had a pair of long john pants and a very light fleece shirt for
sleeping, a fleece cap, a pair of fleece gloves, and usually a dedicated pair
of sleep socks.  I took a down jacket for potential warmth, but am so
warmblooded that I wore it maybe 5 times - mostly I used it as a down pillow.  In
Oregon, I added a pair of fleece pants and a windstopper fleece top.  they were
nice for camp, breaks, and the first 15 min of hiking.
rain: I carried Frogg Toggs most of the way.  the pants worked great.  I'm
too hot and sweaty for the jacket.  I cant remember if I actually got rid of the
jacket, but in Oregon I switched to a silnylon poncho.  I loved it.  I also
picked up some overmits in oregon - wet gloves aren't much for keeping the
hands warm.  I tried the seal skins socks - they were great for a while - until
they wet through.  Once they wet through, then the water couldn't get out and
the sandpaper fabric ripped my feet apart.

my $0.02

Be well. Hike on.

-Rev. Gizmo