[pct-l] Pikas Disappearing and Merry Christmas to the Walmart Corp.

 Just read in the daily rag here in Olympia about how Pikas are now disappearing at an alarming rate. Studies compared between now and 1995 show in 25 study areas, 7 show no populations of Pikas where they were found in 1995.  ( Global Warming thought to be the cause) North of Snoqualmie Pass only a few miles North on the PCT is a healthy number of these small creatures who are easy to hear but hard to see!! Bring a long len as my 35mm by 105 mm mini Olympus 300 shows only brown specks in pics where a Pika should be!!
      Also today's paper again is talking of all the trail washout here in our Olympic Nat. Park. No really trail work done in years and cut backs coming. ( Same as all other parks) Seems our trail dollars aren't being used either as last reports show money taken in is still just sitting. One thing you can bet on though. There will be a " Homeland Security Camera" in place , long before a washout is fixed!

  On a lighter note , I did buy a nice 1964 Edition of " Thousand Mile Summer" and signed by Collin Fletcher or 20.00 on Ebay this morning. This will go with the two mint Trailwise packs I bought this week for 10.00 in Centralia. Reading a story of hiking 1964  is so refreshing as Collin never has to show a Permit fee receipt, carry bear canister, and deal with trail fees. No Gun toting Nazi " Wanna Be" pumping him about if he camped at a Hot Spring last night and needs a 500.00 ticket.
    Going down the Yukon , I didn't need anything in the way of permits or fees. In 1977 we needed nothing on the PCT but a strong back and a weak mind. Today Big Brother wants to know where you will camp, where you are from and what's for dinner!!
     Maybe that's why Retro books , packs etc. are so appealing . Simpler times. Even took the family Christmas pics this year this an old Rangerfinder. In 70's Rangefinders were the top camera on the trail and for a good reason. They were light ( For their day) durable and rugged. One usually rather wide lens and still work  with a dead battery.
     Lastly Merry Christmas to all! ( Esp. to the Walmart Corp. who should be the happiness people in the land today.  "Chinamart/Walmart  is what what keeps America Strong!! ) TIC    Mad Monte