[pct-l] How the PCT differs from the PCT-L

Chuck,

IMHO, the negativity of which you speak is largely an
illusion. What you're seeing, in posts that appear derisive
or opinionated, is mostly the result of the medium. By its
back and forth nature of interaction, and because of natural
human tendency to appear "correct" and "educated" before a
large group of one's peers, the list has a tendency to serve
as a debate forum. Debaters typically hold no personal
grudges; the goal is simply to walk away from the debate
having left a good impression of oneself and clear
communication of one's views.

Real life has body english. The lists do not. Without visual
and contextual cues, we're left only with language here, and
language can communicate only so much. For that matter, real
life has its own set of illusions. Sometimes it's easier to
get at the soul of a person without the self-conscious
intrusion of reality.

That said, some people may throw negativity around from time
to time, and damn every one of them.

- blisterfree